Friday, December 23, 2016

Be the light




What a month...

It started with the election, then the full moon, then the start of "the Holidays"...

So many broken wounded souls. So much pain. So many tissues.

I love my job, I truly do. Being a therapist is an honor for me; to be privy to another's innermost fears and pain is a huge responsibility that I do not take lightly. To be trusted to hold space for such fragility humbles me daily. I find that I am stronger than I knew and more vulnerable than I ever dared to be.

I can truthfully say I love my patients. I want to be their safe person. I want to help them, heal them, hug them.

I realize that all I have experienced in my life, the good and the bad, was preparing me for this vocation. It really is a call to holy orders. I have learned to set boundaries and by setting boundaries I can serve others in a healthy way. Having limits does not mean I don't love them. Having boundaries means I empower them instead of enabling them. I have learned from my own mistakes and at times I share myself with them so they know I am human and broken as well.

I may not be a "by the book" therapist; others may know theory better than me, others may have a lot more education or experience in the field... but I can offer up myself, my own brokenness and let them know healing is possible.

When I worked at a veterinary clinic there was a period when there was a lot of Death and I felt so helpless that I could not save the animals and someone told me "You can't save them all, but you can love them all." I have discovered that applies to humans too...

Let us all be lights in the darkness, for even the smallest flame can light the way...


“Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” 
― Roy T. BennettThe Light in the Heart



No comments: