Sunday, November 20, 2016

The week after election, full moon with holidays looming...





What a week!

I saw 28 patients and only had to send one to the ER for suicidal ideation.

Talked quite a few down; lots of assessments on the fly with the docs this week.

I passed out tissues, listened and tried to help in any way I could.

I went out to dinner with a trusted friend on Friday and we consumed large glasses of wine and just talked for over 3 hours... vicarious trauma is a workplace hazard for real.

This election has brought up so much fear, and unfortunately it is not paranoia or imagined. There are steadfast concerns about health care, both physical and mental.

Several patients are gay and are wondering if their legal marriages will be anulled... several are people of color and worry about hate crimes... some are Muslim and fear religious persecution... the list goes on and on and on.

All I can do sometimes is offer a safe space in an increasingly unsafe world. All I can do is listen and pass them tissues. All I can do is to keep my heart soft and hopeful.

When asked how I cope, I told one patient that people like her give me hope. I see the best and worst in the world, I hear tales of abuse and neglect but out of that pain comes hope, forgiveness and healing... THAT is what keeps me going. Knowing that despite all that happens, there is always HOPE, there is always the promise of healing.

The World is a broken place but the cracks let the light in.


There is a balm in Gilead
To make the wounded whole
There is a balm in Gilead
To heal the sin-sick soul

Sometimes I feel discouraged
And leave my fear away
In prayers the Holy Spirit
Revives my soul again

There is a balm in Gilead
To make the wounded whole
There is a balm in Gilead
To heal the sin-sick soul

Take the time to be gentle with yourself, love your family, pet your dogs and cats... pray, rest and then dare to hope and fight for a kinder world.


No comments: