Friday, July 1, 2016

Wow... just wow.





What a week! I had an epiphany that it is so rewarding to be a therapist to people who want to do the work and are not court ordered or sent by DCBS or are forced to be there for any reason...
I know that sounds simplistic but it was an eye opening realization for me.

This week on a single day I worked with someone with Huntington's Disease, a person from an Arabic culture, another from an Asian culture, someone dealing with lupus and someone who was struggling with their sexuality.

In one week I see transgendered people, Muslims, Arabs, Christians, Buddhists, black, white, gay, straight, young, old...

I have written letters for emotional support dogs, housing, legal issues; made food referrals, talked with doctors about how to help the patients lose weight, stop smoking, drinking, drugging.

I pass out tissues and cold water. I get hugged. I get to witness the best and worst of the human condition.

I am amazed at how quickly people divulge their life story; the good, the bad, the ugly.
I am amazed at their strength and resiliency; their courage, their hope, their trust and authenticity.

Every day I leave astounded at my good fortune. Amazed that I have found my life's calling and my dream job. After 3 months I have found my footing and I love it. I feel like Owen Meany in that everything in my life has prepared me for this moment...

I am so very grateful, blessed and deliriously happy. Life doesn't get any better than when God's plan falls into place after years of doubt and fear.




No comments: