Friday, February 12, 2016

One chapter ends...




My first job out of grad school was as a case manager/clinician at Croney and Clark, a private not for profit mental health agency. I worked in various programs there and stayed on when a larger corporation, KVC based in Kansas bought the privately owned C& C.

Now I am leaving after almost 9 years.

It is bittersweet.

While there were issues, as with any job, that were frustrating,  overall I leave with a sense of gratitude.

The agency provided me with a lot  of great training through supervisors who taught me the nuts and bolts as well as the art of being a therapist.

I had several mentors who saw me through some rough times both professionally and personally. I am forever grateful to them for their support and guidance. I am grateful that I worked with the populations I did, as their lives were different from mine but I learned to see the commonalities.

There are people I worked with who feel like family and who I hope to stay in touch with but realize, that time and distance may cut those ties...

I feel as though I had reached my peak and that it was time to move on, take on more/different responsibility and challenges. Time to leave the nest. So I am.

Always, change is hard for me. I have a hard time letting go of everything but this feels so right that I am letting go gracefully. There have been and will be more tears I am sure.

It the past decade my situation has changed dramatically. I went to grad school, earned my MSW, got licensed, nursed a spouse through cancer, lost other family members to cancer, got divorced,  lost several pets to death and grew and changed and improved personally as well as professionally. I am in no way the same person I was 10 years ago. I have come out stronger and more confident and for the first time in my life, I believe in ME.

I have been successful in many areas of my life, mainly in my chosen career. I have never been fired from a job. I usually get a job that I go after. This is not to say I have not known failure because I have. But it is to say I am a fighter. That is something I have learned about myself. Even when others have given up on me, I have not. It took a long time for me to realize that... I am finally confident in who I am and I do not need the approval of a spouse, parent, sibling or even a stranger to make me feel validated.

I feel as if I am newly hatched, primed for life and adventure...

Here's to the next chapter!





No comments: