Friday, October 23, 2015

U2



"I've conquered the past, the future is here at last Stand there at the entrance of a new world I can see The ruins to the right of me, will soon have lost sight of me Love, rescue me"
Love Rescue Me

One of the things I love best about friendships is sharing music. Getting to know someone through their musical choices is exciting and enlightening.


I remember as a teenager spending late nights on the phone with a friend who would punctuate the conversation with music. 

"Wait" he would say, "that reminds me of this song..." and he would put an album on and hold the phone up to the speaker so I could hear it. 
Then he would get back on and we would talk about the meaning of the lyrics and how they pertained to us. I learned a lot about 70's Rock from him: Alice Cooper, Lynard Skynard, Cream. He once called me just to play Janis Ian's "At Seventeen" because it was my story. And in the music we found truth and we made a connection that helped us weather those awkward teen years.

I have reconnected with an old friend who does the same thing as that friend from my youth. He illustrates his points with music. Instead of holding the phone up to a speaker, he sends me youtube links. I am discovering music I would not normally listen to thanks to him. 

I am quickly becoming a U2 fan. How did I ever miss them??? 

Mumford and Sons. Iron and Wine. Songs from new musicals on Broadway. Lyrics that take my breath away. Sometimes he sings to me over the phone. And it is an intimate connection that I treasure. There is something about someone singing across the miles, across time, across the thin wire of the telephone, singing words that ring true and that touch me deeply in the hollows of my heart.





"Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice

You'll make it now

Falling slowly, eyes that know me
And I can't go back
Moods that take me and erase me
And I'm painted black
You have suffered enough
And warred with yourself
It's time that you won

[Chorus]

Falling slowly sing your melody
I'll sing along'" 


Falling...

And sometimes, I do sing along. 
Connection...
Music is all about connecting souls.

No comments: