Monday, March 19, 2012

Morning/Mourning

In that murky area between sleep and waking, I am besieged by ghosts...

I come out of a dream unsure what is real and what is not. I have to remind myself who has passed from this life and who remains.

Often I feel my cat of 22 years is curled against me, only to awaken to the realization he died over 2 years ago.



Today I remembered my friend Alan and woke with an image of him laughing and healthy~ pancreatic cancer ended his life a year ago.

Today I curled around my husband's body, laid my hand upon his heart, feeling the slow steady beat. I laid my cheek upon his shoulder feeling his warmth, the smoothness of his skin, the muscle and bone firm and healthy. I said softly to myself, "This is real. This is true. All else is just an illusion."

This morning I held Life and chased Death from my dreams...

1 comment:

beagleAnnie said...

In our life, there are various days good and bad, mysterious and joyful, aren't there?
Or just you may be tired...