Monday, May 2, 2011

Forgiveness on my mind




"I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

I have mixed emotions about the news. I mourned on 9/11 as I had lived 11 years in NYC, but while I do not mourn his death, I do not celebrate it either...

On 9/11 I remember asking what would happen if we forgave instead of going to war? I got no answers then, and I still question what would happen if a love so big would forgive atrocities? Would it not only change us, but also the enemy, as they would feel mercy and forgiveness at a level never known except for the Christ?

And could I forgive so great a wound? Have I shown that level of mercy in the world? I know I have shown compassion. I have shown love. But have I had to forgive such a great fault?

As a person of faith, I realize I am the beneficiary of great mercy and forgiveness and I am humbled by salvation.

I may be unable to fulfill the act of forgiveness, but shouldn't I at least try?

I long for a world where we lose our egos, we care more for one another than ourselves and we strive to love unconditionally and forgive as we would like to be forgiven...

2 comments:

Eric said...

The MLK quote reflects some of my thoughts. In general I am against the death penalty but I feel it is a necessary and good thing that bin Laden is dead; as it was with Hitler. However, I am squeamish and uncomfortable with the jubilation and celebration over someone's (anyone's) death.
Thanks Martha, for letting me know I'm not alone in having to think this event through for myself.
Eric

Alia said...

Well said.

How can we be appalled at television images of radicals cheering after a beheading if we give the world the same images?