Saturday, November 13, 2010

Decisions...

We have started the house hunting. It is not easy...

I went alone without the hubster but with BB2 and Sister and her hubster. We looked at several houses but there was one little funky one, that I for some reason loved. It needed some work, not a lot but probably more than I could see through my smitten eyes. The colors were neutral, a lovely pale yellow, the kitchen large enough to eat in with RED counterops (which I love), old style cabinets, hard wood floors, a bath and 1/2 and an odd but large covered patio. There was a brick path laid the entire length of the yard and the carport had gothic niches w/ Saint Francis  and another Saint standing guard. It was quirky and full of possibility. That is what I saw the possibility and what could be...

Today the fam and I took the husband by and... he hated it. He saw all the flaws none of the fantasy. It was a bit humbling and disappointing. Usually I pride myself on being practical, where will the litter box go? How can we make the rooms work? Will this be affordable? But I missed that the rooms were small, the yard was grassless and would take some work... Quirky became "too much fixing up".

We had looked at a house earlier that had be specifically tailored to the family living there. They obviously watch HGTV because it was lovely and decorated in a woodsy borders with bears, pine green and earth colors. But I saw no counter space, guests walking through the kitchen and dining area to reach the den which was long and narrow and very rectangular. The yard had a huge privacy fence enclosing an above ground pool. I hated it. And you guessed it, the hubster loved it. I couldn't get past the flow pattern and dark colors. And the pool. With the huge fence.

We did see a third house that had a front porch, with a swing and benches. It had a cage w/ 2 chickens and a rooster in the back yard. And a friendly cat locked in the laundry room. It had possibilities. A huge office off the laundry room and extra bath that could become "the master suite". It had cabinet space, It had a full bath down the hall, office space and dedicated space for a real live nothing but a guest room... Maggie the insane could be housed in a room of her own. The other cats and Jake could run the house. Jake had ample yard. Its  really close to my job. Its a maybe. But of course there were some flaws. The heating system was old... and I hate furnace problems having been plagued with them the past two winters... other things needed updating, windows etc. The price was higher than I wanted...

I hope the family is patient and the hubster and I can agree... So we wait, we ponder, we pray.

No comments: