Saturday, March 13, 2010

Time tripping again.

Last Saturday I met with an old friend from NYC with whom I had worked in theater.
He was in town for the SETC (South Eastern Theater Conference). He has become a guru in the lighting world and asked me to hang out at his booth on the conference floor handing out lighting swag...

So I went and it was wonderful and weird all at once.

I still remembered lighting terms despite that being several careers and a couple of decades ago.

I remembered what I loved and hated about theater and know I don't want to go back to that career. ( A reminder is very helpful every now and then!)

HOWEVER one thing that came of this reunion were wonderful memories of Charleston SC where he and I had worked together for 4 summers. It reawakened my longing to live in Charleston again. I love that city. It is probably my favorite place in the world. If I could I would move there tomorrow. Preferably living on Folly Beach and hanging out with Pat Conroy (one of my favorite writers).

Also he helped me to remember why I do what I do now. He asked a lot of questions about why I am a therapist working with at risk youth. It took me a moment to formulate the answer. I am not sure if I can explain in words the reward I receive.
Working with these kids, helping them figure out that they do have worth, do deserve respect, can be successful and most importantly can heal, is a calling. I feel like it is my vocation.

Most of all I realize it is possible to heal. I had a loving family, supportive friends and I weathered the tempest ridden teens and came out OK. I want to give these kids that opportunity as well.

One of my favorite quotes:

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.
Helen Keller

That is why I do what I do....

No comments: