Tuesday, February 23, 2010

In the Desert (Lenten Meditations)

Luke 4: 1-13

Alone in the desert
a scorpion appeared at my feet
small but deadly
yet it sought refuge
in my shadow.
I sat watching
as it grew and took a new form;
shedding its carapace
to reveal a body
like my own,
skin the color of mine,
clothing of linen and flax,
finer than my tattered robe.
He stood before me
emerging from hunger,
from folly
or fantasy or fear.
He held bread for the taking
if only
I would forsake You.
I knew I lived not by bread alone.
I chose you.
He lead me to the lofty dome
where all the world to see
lay before us.
Again, mine for the taking
if only I would forsake you.
Castles, kingdoms, dominions,
but I chose you.
He said to me
“This one you choose
will he save you? Jump, if he is real
you will not fall!”
I left his side. I walked away.
He was no more than a insect,
a scorpion beneath my heel,
powerless,
because I chose you.
Eloi, I chose you.

No comments: