Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's day

At this moment I am calm, peaceful. The heat is slacking off and I feel like I can breathe again.

I am currently in the present moment, ignoring all the what ifs and terrors that loom at the fringes of my consciousness.

It is Father's day and I spent it with a man who has been very fatherly to me all my life. He entered when I was only 4 or 5, marrying my sister. Since then he has bailed me out of trouble more times than I can count. He gave up his morning to spend it at my house cleaning gutters, hacking down hedges and loving me despite my frenzy and craziness.

My own dad died when I was 15. It left me bereft and feeling cheated. Looking back I see how this man stepped in when he could, filling that void. I cannot describe my relationship with him, he is more than brother in law, more than mentor. He has shown me what a father should be. His own daughters turned out great. He has been a wonderful husband to my sister. He is generous with his time, talent and life.
He is my hero.
Happy Father's Day Bob. I love you.

No comments: