Sunday, March 22, 2009

Idolatry in a chair or a lamp

Letting go
of things
is not letting go
of people
or memories
or love...

yet each item
I shed
takes a piece of me
away

I have held it for so long
it seems to have grown roots
burrowing deep
tendrils,
weaving through my heart
my mind~
curling about my lungs
rising and falling
with each breath

Still it is only
stuff~
atoms arranged
in formation
non living matter
material possessions
that don't feel
that don't reflect back
love.

Idols and images
that I have somehow
connected to
living
breathing
sentient
beings
that I love
deeply

By letting go of things
it feels as if
I am breaking
threads
connections
to those people.

I can name this.

Misbelief.
Magical thinking.
Nonsense.

My mind knows this
but my heart grieves
and my soul mourns
the loss.

No comments: