Sunday, February 15, 2009

Wild weekend





Yesterday I finally made it into Wolf Run Animal Sancutary where I got to pet actual wolves and wolf/dog hybrids. It was pretty awesome. I also witnessed the volunteer staff feeding the lions, cougars and bobcat, hurling half chickens over enclosures while cats with feet bigger than my head paced and roared.
There were also horses, a goat, disgruntled sheep, deer and chickens. And a wallaby! and two very ugly monkies. and a few bunnies. All in all a nice day...

Then today a couple of guys came and cut down my oak tree. I am mourning it although it has been dropping branches for several years now and has been an increasing risk to our neighbors and ourselves. Still it hurts to cut down a tree who has been on earth longer than me, survived ice storms, high winds and countless droughts. I went out and gave it a hug before the men came to take it down. I made myself watch and it was brutal. I don't know what the squirrels will do now... they used that tree as a main crossing point from one side of the street to the other, bouncing from branch to branch, swing twig over twig and scattering acorns as they scurried from the tree to the roof...
There were visible signs of rot in the trunk, but also the wood was wet and heavy, the sap had started to rise, a sign of spring returning...

No comments: