Saturday, February 28, 2009

RIP: Dennis the fish.




Dennis died this week. He was my first fish as an adult and I became very attached to him as I am capable of doing with almost any sentient being...

Dennis first came to me as the mascot for the PEACE program but because he had fishacidal tendencies, killing everyone in his bowl, we deemed him an inappropriate PEACE mascot and I brought him home. He lived a long life I assume for a beta. Almost 2 years. He liked his worms and flakes. He had a couple of bouts of ick and was treated and survived. I attempted all the usual tricks this time, but he seemed to be slowing down, sitting on the bottom more until one day he just sat and didn't move. Then I burst into tears and bid farewell to a tiny fish who left a huge hole in my heart. Funny how the smallest beings fill our lives...

2 comments:

TimmyB said...

I'm sorry for the passing of your Dennis, Ms. Martha. I had tropical fish long ago and they were a joy. I'm sure Dennis was too.

Jake and Bathsheba said...

I came to thank you for your condolences when my Jake died last month only to find that a creature that was special to you just died too. I'm sorry for your loss of Dennis. It's hard to explain the connection between us and our animals. And TREES! I read down your blog and saw the piece about your oak tree being cut down. That hurts too. They take so long to grow and we can't help but respect that. They shade us and provide homes and food for the wild animals in our midst.

Anyway, you were so kind to leave a comforting comment upon my beloved Jake’s passing. The cat blogosphere is a wonderfully caring community, and I am honored to be a part of it. Thank you for your support during this difficult time for me. Jake’s memory will forever live in my heart and mind.

~J&B’s Mom Nancy