Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Grace in small things: 5 for today.

I have a couple of friends who are doing the "GIST" aka grace in small things on their blogs. I have been thinking about gratitude lately...

I am grateful that we were not without power during the ice storm. We were able to stay warm and lighted and all our animals had food and shelter. This was especially good as the hubster and I both were very sick and basically just slept through the 3 days of bad weather.

I am grateful for my job. I get to help people. I get to go into their homes. I am so honored when they admit me into their homes, their lives, when they let me see the "real them". I am so blessed to get to see authentic people, who are baring their souls to me. I am humbled and honored by their trusting me so much, trusting me to help them, to not hurt them, to help them heal. It is an awesome responsibility and I don't take it lightly. I cannot describe the feeling I get from serving others. Only that I take away much, much more than I give. I am thankful for those connections, soul to soul. It is a holy experience.

I am grateful for my family. For their unswerving love and support. If all my kiddos had what I have, they wouldn't need a social worker. If the world at large had my family, we would all be richer...

I am grateful for my husband. He loves me no matter what. He sees the real me and somehow makes me feel better than I am! I love that I wake up at night to find we are holding hands in our sleep after 20 years...

I am grateful for words. I love books, reading and writing. I love that we can touch each others lives with words. I love the power that simple phrases hold: "I am sorry", "I love you", "You are forgiven""Thank You"... words are amazing.

That's 5 for today. Grace in small things. My 5 don't feel small. They feel like my whole world...

No comments: