Saturday, February 7, 2009

Connections

This week has been amazing~ all about connecting with others.

On facebook I have reconnected with several childhood and college friends. I was finally able to say "I'm sorry" and "Thank you" to a person who made a huge difference in my life 25 years ago. I found out one of my favorite teachers ever had died and I spent a while remembering what blessings he brought into my life. I laughed over funny memories from college, I cried when a friend had to euthanize his beloved golden retriever after 14 years of loving and living together...

At work, I listened as young boys/men told me what their lives had been like as gang members, the horrors they had witnessed, the deeds they had committed, the remorse they were experiencing, the dreams they were dreaming, and I encouraged, validated and listened some more. I got to take a kid to the library where he chose to read aloud to me rather than to spend time on the computer; this is a child whose family is all illiterate and he has discovered the love of books. If I have given him nothing else, I have given him the library. I have met with girls on the brink of womanhood who are scared and frightened and looking to fill themselves and I have listened and ached with them...

I have met people who others would turn away from, who would frighten others, who are dirty, illiterate, poor, needy, wounded...

I have spent the week with the Christ child.

1 comment:

TimmyB said...

Was this teacher who died anyone I know?

Thanks for your blog, Martha. I enjoy keeping up with your life here.

Cheers

Tim