Saturday, January 24, 2009

grief in unexpected moments

It has been a month since we lost our Molly Dawg. And at times grief pops up in unexpected places...

At the grocery store I saw the type of bread I always bought for her "butter sammiches" that we made to hide her medicines in and I got a fresh pang of loss...

At the library one of my kiddos handed me a book on dogs, the cover had a picture of an olden golden, whose face was heartbreakingly familiar...

Looking for a leash for the puppy, I found Molly's favorite "string" as we called it, used it on the puppy, and as we walked remembered all the times I had walked w/ Molly, how she had gone from spirited, agile and curious to weak and stumbling and I wept as I walked...

I miss my big red dog. I do not want her back in her pain and her illness. But I miss all her good days. All our happy memories. All the funny goofy times we had with her. People who are not animal lovers probably don't understand the bond one develops with a dog or a cat or even a fish, but there is something about a relationship that is wholly based in trust and love with no expectations that defies human logic...

Maybe that is why God gave us animals after all... so that we can see what we should be.

2 comments:

Alykat said...

That's the great thing about memories though, isn't it? At any moment, all you have to do is close your eyes and you are transported back to those happier days, before illness and stumbling. Think of it as her everlasting gift to you. Molly would want HIM and HER to take joy in those memories, just as I bet she is doing while she naps in the sun on the Rainbow Bridge.

Alykat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.