Saturday, December 27, 2008

Hopeful

We are closing in on the end of the year. And I am relieved. It has been a rough year in our home. I have not been so wise at times. I have not taken care of myself and it has shown: in my marriage, in my work, in my blogging, in my soul...
I am weary but hopeful.

This has been a hard year for lots of my family and friends. It seems to be a sign of the times...

I work in a demanding profession with severely ill people in desperate situations. So I know that I am, in comparison, well off. But I cannot stop my heart from aching for these families no more than I can stop aching for my own family or friends. Boundaries have always been hard for me. Not that I would cross boundaries ethically or harm anyone, but that I can't say "No" very easily and keeping going beyond my endurance until I am depleted. I am learning this is not helpful for others. I don't perform at my peak level if I am rundown. I can't give my best is I have nothing left to give.

I am learning about self care. About being intentional. About giving my all and then resting to recharge. About not giving up...

I have learned these lessons from watching my husband, my family, my friends and yes even my pets... God incarnates in many forms, sometimes even four legged and furry forms!

I resolve this next year to clear out the clutter, make room for rest and peace. That is why I am hopeful. Because I think I can accomplish this. To find and hold onto Peace. Having gone without peace, I now long for it. And that is the first step to achieving a dream, having the desire...

1 comment:

Timmy B. said...

Recharging the batteries is a good thing. You need it. At work they enrolled everyone in the Franklin-Covey time management system -- you know, with the day planners and lists, etc. -- and they call this time "Sharpening Your Saw."