Sunday, November 30, 2008

In spite of common sense...

If I were being sane and rational I would not have brought home a free yellow lab, golden retriever mix puppy yesterday. But I was operating in "the zone" and conventional wisdom need not apply...

Occasionally I have days that flow from the moment I get up until I go to bed. No matter what happens, good or ill, it feels right. It feels like I am exactly where I am supposed to be, doing what I am supposed to be doing, connected with a higher power, the collective unconscious... Yesterday was just such a day.

I will try to keep this short. I posted stuff to sell on craigslist and it sold to people who instantly connected with me. They even had some of the same stuff I own in their home... similar minds/tastes/decorations. They had a dog, Daisy, who greeted me lovingly, which is not always common for the rogue beagle... I dropped off the little stove I sold them and we talked for an hour. They showed me their home, introduced me to their cats and we just clicked...

Next I went to my pet sitting appointment where I get along with the totally insane cat that Alycat passed on to me as a client. Even that felt right as Kikikat and her human live just up the street from my sister...

Driving to my next appointment (a human teen) I felt a wash of positive energy and realized that despite being broke, the lousy economy, the lousy week I just had, all the negative stuff that had happened, I was ridiculously happy and so grateful for everything and everyone in my life...

I met the client and we attempted to go to Wolf Run, but it was closed. As I was thinking, "hmmm maybe the Humane Society", she asked "Could we go to the Humane Society?" I laughingly said "Fate intervenes" and off we went. We got there, looked at dogs and cats and resisted adopting any of them.

Then as we were leaving, there was a women holding a golden puppy. Oh cute! I thought, a baby golden retriever...

The woman saw me looking and called out "Would you like a free puppy who has been neutered?"
Against my better rational judgment I walked over. She explained she had gone shelter to shelter, all were overcrowded and would probably euthanize him, LHS couldn't take him because she didn't live in Fayette Co. She was crying, he was fixed, and well, I am a sucker for a sob story....

So I woke the hubster holding a puppy. He can't resist me and a puppy apparently.

Now here comes the conventional wisdom defying part...

Jake (the pup) doesn't chase the cats, he doesn't get growled at by Molly. Sniffy Pie has groomed him already. He is already going to the back door when he needs to go potty. He knows sit. He sat perfectly still while I bathed him and then blew him dry w/ a hair dryer. He kennels up in a cat carrier....
He seems pretty healthy, he is already neutered (the most expensive part of puppydom) and he rarely barks or yips. Its as if he were meant to be our dog...

He will be trained and certified as a therapy dog. He may be our first animal with a job. I will keep you posted.

To quote my big bro the preacher, "sometimes you just gotta walk out on Faith..."

No comments: