Monday, November 10, 2008

How could you leave all that?

Last night I was at an after theater party and was asked how I could leave the glamorous life of theater behind...

I didn't know how to answer at first. That was 2 careers back. I also didn't want to say "I grew to hate it." because I think that would have completely baffled the person asking me. Instead I explained that somewhere it stopped being art. Theater had at one time been a passion. I did it out of love; I loved creating something artistic, something that was ephemeral and transitory. Weaving dreams out of thin air...

But at some point, it became a job. I lost the passion of it. I looked at it as a way to support myself. To buy time to do other things. Except it consumed all my time and I never got to do the other things because I was often exhausted.

I missed a lot too. I didn't get to see my family very often. My nieces and nephew grew up and I missed all their high school years. I missed the last few years of my mother's life other than a few visits a year and weekly phone calls. I missed seeing season's change because I spent almost all my time inside a building in the dark programming light boards.

Granted I got to see great art, meet famous people, and see the world. If I had not been in theater I would not have met the love of my life, the hubster.

But there came a time to move on, to dream a new dream. I completed my goals, and made new ones.

I wanted more. I wanted to help heal the world. One animal at a time. One person at a time. So I worked for a veterinarian for 11 years until I wanted more. Then I became a clinical social worker to heal the world in a different way. That's how I could leave all that.

No comments: