Sunday, October 12, 2008

Respite

This weekend I received a wonderful gift. My friend invited me down to the place she was house sitting for a girls weekend. It was heavenly!

The time away was a much needed break. I love my job. It is challenging, stressful, hard and heartbreaking; but I am right where I am supposed to be doing what my whole life has prepared me to do. I love it, but in order to do it well and give it my best, I need to get away occasionally.

So I traveled to my friend Diane's house sitting gig. It was a lovely home; quiet, airy and light filled. Diane made fabulous food. We talked, laughed, cried, prayed and sat in a silence made comfortable by having shared a friendship of 34 years...
Diane has been through triumphs and failures with me. She has seen my worst being my roommate in college and loved me anyway. We share a bond that time and distance cannot put a dent in, no matter how long it has been since we talked, we pick up right where we left off. There has never been an awkwardness when we get together again. She knows me better in some ways than anyone else. She has grown up along with me. We have gone on a similar journey sometimes walking together side by side, sometimes our paths veer and we lose sight of each other for a while. But always we know our paths will cross again. There is a comfort in having a friend for this length of time. Having someone who knew you from adolescence to middle age and is still there for the long haul is pretty rare I think. I am blessed to have her in my life. I was certainly blessed to have her gift me with a respite weekend.

I got to relax, totally pampered and cared for, meals made for me, no pressure to do anything, no schedule to follow, total freedom from wants and needs.
I read a book. I nap countless times. I sat in the jacuzzi. I watched a little bit of TV and fell asleep listening to the ocean on the sound machine...

And now I am home. Recharged and ready for the week to come.

Thank you Diane for the gift of yourself. For being there time after time, for knowing when I need you and for coming through. Most of all thank you for being my friend.

No comments: