Monday, October 20, 2008

A night at the opera


We went to the opera, La Boheme, on Saturday. The music was lovely. The story was familiar. A poor artist in love with a girl in a big city...
The hubster had wanted to see this opera with me for a long time and we finally got the chance. It brought back many memories for us. When we first met he was a starving artist, acting in Shakespeare and I was a stagehand working long hours just to survive. Our dates often consisted of long, meandering walks around NYC, laughing and talking, walking to stay warm. Once he came up to my apartment so I could sew a button back onto his coat. I remember him wearing a beret and a dashing red scarf. I believe that was when I first called him "my bohemian". (I still do).

Its hard to watch theater or opera or dance with my background. I have worked at some pretty impressive places and with major designers. I am not bragging, those are just the facts. Because of my past work experience, it is hard at times to silence the internal critic in my head. I end up redesigning the lights, scenery and costumes while watching the show. I cringe at a mistake that 90% of the audience would never even notice. It takes a lot to make me gasp in awe. Often with opera, if it is not a huge company, I find myself just closing my eyes and listening. I don't know anything about music. I don't know if someone is off key or singing the wrong Italian words. It all sounds lovely to me. So with this performance I finally stopped about the end of Act II and finally just listened. I stopped reading the annoying supertitles, stopped figuring out how the set worked, stopped playing "that dress doesn't belong in this show" and just let the incredible voices wash over me. We had great seats, we could hear without the aid of microphones and the acoustics were amazing. I got to people watch, saw a few friends and got to hold hands with my beloved while remembering what it was like to be young, cold, poor but crazy in love...

No comments: