Saturday, September 27, 2008

WKU theatricals...

I have spent a lot of time lately on facebook connecting with old friends from college.
It has made me incredibly nostalgic. This would be my 25 year reunion if I did such things. But I don't think the theater department does reunions anymore?

One person in particular has been posting pictures from the 80's. My GAWD, the hair! The glasses! Did we really think we were fetching??? I recall spending much of my time in the scene shop~ I was a "techie" and pretty much was in jeans and t-shirts all the time. However I layered on the makeup and wore my sweatshirts appropriately ripped ala "Flashdance".

I look at the pictures and realize we were just kids. Everyone looks so young and goofy and innocent. I can't believe it has been 25 years, 3 careers and over 15 moves ago...

Some of the people in the pictures are dead now. Part of the 80's was the AIDS epidemic and it touched all of us in the theater department eventually. I mourn the young men who never got a chance to grow old. I mourn the loss of the theater community. I grieve over the talent that never got to bloom, the songs unsung, the words never written...

I think now, looking at those faces frozen in time full of hopes and dreams, it is those faces that started me on the path to becoming a social worker.

The AIDS epidemic really hit hard when I lived in NYC. Stories of men dying daily, shunned by family, friends, the medical community and the government cut me to the quick. HIV positive babies that no one would hold, kids people were afraid to hug, people dying alone with no one to hold their hand made me angry and sad. I did a little but not enough. It never is enough at times like that. But it was a start and now I am a social worker and I can do more. I have the knowledge and the resources and I can now finally make a difference: maybe not for the kids in the pictures from 25 years ago, but because of them, I can do it for the kids today.

1 comment:

TimmyB said...

Thanks for posting this. I'd love to see the 70s pictures you mention. I have a few posted, too, on one of my home pages. I'll try to link you if you haven't seen them already. Did you see my pix from "Another Summer" with Joe, Jay, Beth, William, Cindy and Nancy?