Sunday, May 11, 2008

Moms


I have taken 2 vacations with my mum-in-law. The first was a long drive north to a friend's wedding in Ithaca NY. I met Mum in PA and we drove up from there. It was a lovely drive, we laughed and talked, listened to music and just rode in silence at times. We planned on staying at a Bed & Breakfast on a real working farm. I had only stayed in a B&B once and it was lovely. Again, I pictured a lovely Victorian house, surrounded by green pastures with lambs frolicking... inside we would have tea and cakes on antique china underneath an ornate chandelier at the family table. Later we would sleep on beautiful bed linens...
Then reality set in. We pulled up to an old farm house. OK, so it wasn't Victorian. A woman came out and invited us in. We walked in... to the B&B from HELL. It was cluttered. No that didn't do it justice. These people were serious OCD hoarders. There were paths to the kitchen and the TV. Mum and I looked at each other. Her face was priceless. I was sure I had just fallen to the bottom of "fave daughter in law" list. OR maybe even off it. We went upstairs, with me hoping that it would be better. Our room had twin beds... with scratchy army blankets. The owner cleared away her grandchild's toys. We inquired about the bathroom. Trudged back downstairs. OH JOY! We shared it with the couple. Had it not been so late and we had been so tired we would have turned tail and fled. But we decided to stick it out...
We stayed up late whispering and giggling at the absurdity of the "Lovely B&B" I had found for us. We finally slept.
In the morning we went down for breakfast, the old man was sitting at the table (dirty sticky table) and informed us there was cereal and toast if we wanted it. We declined. I decided to shower. Mum came back up and barely containing her laughter informed me that as she had tried to get in the bathroom, the old man was there, and started clapping and shouting out "I'm in here!" So I waited a bit, went to freshen up and Mum started calling hotels. We were getting the heck out of Dodge!
We left explaining we needed to be closer to the wedding, I think we were both concerned if we told the truth that this was just horrid that Ma & Pa might shove a tower of trash over on us and we would never be seen again...
Its only now, years after the fact that we can really laugh about this. I have not stayed in a B&B since. Mum has. She reports that it was lovely, Victorian, tea, all the amenities that I had imagined...

Happy Mother's Day Mum. Thanks for all the good times! I love you.

No comments: