Friday, May 30, 2008

In his father's arms...


Last night I received some terrible news. An old family friend committed suicide this week. He had moved back in with his elderly parents and early one morning he shot himself. His father rushed in and he died in his father's arms.
I cannot imagine the pain this family is experiencing. This person's death has shocked an entire community. Like an earthquake the tremors have far reaching effects. The worst hit area is the small town where he lived and worked. But this act has reached where I lived, where BB2 lives out west and who knows where else. Even though I have not seen the family in years and years, I have so many loving, happy memories from my childhood of them. They were a huge influence on me. They were so much a part of my life, of my parents' lives and still are of my family's lives even today. The effects of this man's death are unfathomable.

The image of him dying in his father's arms haunts me. I keep seeing them in my mind's eye: his elderly father cradling him, and behind them, the Christ cradling them both. I know some believe that suicide is the ultimate sin against God. But the God I serve, the one who heals fish and children, who listens to my ramblings about sick animals, wounded people and helpless children, would never turn His back on someone so desperate as to take their own life. I cannot believe God who loves all His creation would forsake His child, who out of agony and pain so deep that he saw no other option than to die, would not take that child into His arms once he had passed from this life.
I cannot believe that God is not standing behind those elderly parents arms open, ready and waiting to hold them in their unimaginable pain and mourning. I cannot imagine that God is not there in that community ready to wipe away tears and soothe the pain and despair of the bereaved. I cannot imagine that God wasn't there when that man, so broken and wounded, picked up a gun and aimed it at himself. I cannot imagine that even now any of us are alone, unloved or unwanted. I cannot and will not believe that...


photo link: http://www.prairieedge.com/item/9402/23/411

3 comments:

Katie! said...

I am so sorry for this news, my sweet friend. Your statement of your beliefs are beautiful and comforting and I hope it is a sentiment shared by the grieving family.

TimmyB said...

That's terrible. People need to understand there's a way out of every situation that doesn't involve suicide. Maybe I've watched too many Frank Capra movies, but being alive is the only way to make the future a better place for everyone.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!