Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Hard day...

Today I went for the 2nd time to admit a child into the psychiatric unit to stabilize them. This is probably my least favorite part of my job. I know it is for their benefit. I know it is for all the right reasons. I know they are a danger to themselves and others and need this intensive level of help.

But watching a mom and child separate even for all the right reasons breaks my heart clean in two.

I must admit I was not able to maintain the clinical, professional face the whole time. I cried a little too. (Not that that will surprise anyone who knows me). But I didn't really beat myself up over it. And I was able to still do my job and pull myself together and be there for the family. So in many ways I have grown. Because I can be professional, but not cold and I can realize its not about me at all, but its all about my kiddos...

No comments: