Saturday, March 29, 2008

Images

There are certain images that I can call up in an instant...

one is a photo of my nephew, Mark, in it he is probably about a year old. He sits on a couch in a striped shirt and he has one hand outstretched in a tiny fist. His little face is so serious, all big brown eyes and full pout. For some reason that it the image of him I have carried with my my whole life. He is so small, vulnerable, innocent and achingly beautiful... Never mind he turns 38 this year, owns his own business, is strong, smart, successful and just one of the best men in the world, in my heart he is always my first baby nephew.

Another image I carry with me is my mom winking at me. I was a teenager when she had her first heart attack. My aunt Catherine picked me up at school and took me to the ER where my mom was. I walked into the room and she was in bed hooked to wires and machines beeping and lighting up. Tubes were in her arms, oxygen hooked to her face and I stood stock still seeing my mother so vulnerable and defeated, scared and scary. I just stood there silently terrified that she was dying but then she opened her eyes and smiled and winked at me. And suddenly I knew it would be ok. That it wasn't her time yet, that I wouldn't be an orphan, that my mom would come home. Somehow that gesture, that wink conveyed all that and I let Aunt Catherine lead me out to wait...

The last image is a happy one. My favorite image of Molly (my big red dog) is from the first summer we had her and I would let her off the lead in the parking lot of the ball park. She would take off trotting, her long red fur flowing in the breeze, her ears flapping, her tail high and wagging, her head turning to look back at me, making sure I was within a safe distance, not too close, not too far, as she happily trotted in circles enjoying the sun, the breeze, and freedom.

2 comments:

Katie! said...

These are fantastic, Martha. I love your descriptions and how these snapshots have stayed with you. I have some as well.

Do you ever know when you'll remember something for the rest of your life? Some moments, like one in particular at my wedding, I know I will always cherish. But others, like a picture of Myra collapsed in the shade after an afternoon of chase, I just laughed at at the moment, but now remember it as an example of carefree joys of summer. What have your experiences been?

Tim said...

Thanks for sharing these visual verbal treats with us Martha!