Saturday, February 9, 2008

Writing practice

Today I joyfully returned to the Carnegie Center after a long absence in which I earned my masters, started a new career, and entered middle age with a vengeance! It was manna for my soul. I saw some old friends, wrote some and just blissed out...
Here are some of the results...

The phrase was :moonlit beach

I remember sitting on the pier as the tide came in, my tears as salty as the sea.
"You broke my heart", I said.
" I did." he said.
"Why?" I asked, "Why?"
" I don't know, I didn't mean to hurt you..."
We held each other long and hard as the moon rose higher and the ghost crabs lifted from the sand to dance under the cresting moon.
The tide went out and came in again as we talked words falling from our lips like drops of rain, pouring forth all the anger, all the pain, all the hurt until only the love remained.
Then like children building castles in the sand we began to rebuild our foundation; this time on honesty, on truth; no longer on the shifting sands of lies.


The phrase: unraveled

Unraveling the past,
like a knotted necklace,
requires:
patience
prodding
poking
hard tugs
gentle pulls
teasing at memories
linked like a chain,
clasped so tightly
one fears it
will never
come loose.

No comments: